Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Mentor

© By Othmar Vohringer

Kristine from Gun Safety Innovations issued a challenge on the Outdoor Blogger Summit (OBS) to write about a person that was influential as a mentor or inspiration for us to hunt, fish or to write a blog. This challenge is part of an ongoing series called “Write About the Good Challenge” whose purpose is to write about the positive things that happen in our lives or motivates us to carry on with what we’re doing as outdoor enthusiasts and blog writers.

It is difficult for me to choose one single person that inspired me to hunt. There have been, and still are, so many to be thankful for mentoring or inspiring me. Without a doubt if it were not for the good folks at Cimmaron Archery in Richmond, Illinois I would have never become a bowhunter. Their dedication, good will and patience renewed my will to become a bowhunter at a time when I was about to give it up. There have been many people throughout my life, and no doubt will continue to enter my life, that inspire and mentor me. As my late mother used to say: “Life is an ongoing learning process from the day we’re born to the day we die.” And, “Inspiring people are everywhere; you only have to keep an open mind.”

But since I have to make a choice as to who was my greatest mentor I will have to say that it was both of my parents- and I say “both” because they were a strong and undivided team, even in raising their children. Things like “go ask Mama”, or “Wait until Papa comes home.” were foreign phrases in our house.

Since both of my parents were enthusiastic outdoors people who hunted, fished and loved to hike in the beautiful mountains of Switzerland I was naturally raised to do the same. The passion for the outdoor lifestyle was consciously nurtured and encouraged from early childhood on and no doubt influenced me when I decided to found Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies through which I became able to apply another lesson I learned from my parents: “Share your knowledge freely with the less knowledgeable and those willing to learn. Knowledge is only useful if it is made accessible to many.”

My writing, blogs, seminars and other hunting related activities such as hunting courses, hunting strategy consulting and becoming a hunter education instructor of British Columbia are a direct result of the mentorship and inspiration of my parents. The people I have encountered in my life that further inspired or mentored me can also be seen as a direct result of the values and beliefs my parents instilled in me.


Tags: , , , , , ,

8 comments:

Tom Sorenson said...

I, for one, am glad your parents instilled this belief within you. You've got a lot to share - I enjoy my time spent on your blog.

SimplyOutdoors said...

What a great post to follow through with Kristine's request.

I hope that my wife and I can instill our love of nature within our daughter as well as your parents did inside you Othmar.

Great post.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your parents were wonderful people. I think it's wonderful that you've been able to carry on the lessons they taught you and use them to help others.

I also love this quote:

“Share your knowledge freely with the less knowledgeable and those willing to learn. Knowledge is only useful if it is made accessible to many.”

What a wonderful way to live your life.

Othmar Vohringer said...

Thank you all for the kind comments. When I look around me in the world I feel very privileged that I had the parents I had. They both were what today would be called “old fashioned”. They solid values but still remained open minded. Despite working day and night to keep a meat processing company and supper-store going they never were to tired to spend time with us or listen to our “childish problems”.

Although both of them are not with us anymore for 19 respectively 20 years there does not a single day pass by that I do not think or talk about my parents and thank the Lord for letting me have these parents.

-ov-

Anonymous said...

That was a very nice and enjoyable read for sure, thanks for sharing that with us.

Othmar Vohringer said...

Thank you Rick. I am looking forward to read other bloggers posts pertaining to the OBS Challenge.

-ov-

Marian Ann Love said...

A great tribute to your parents Othmar. Thanks for sharing some knowledge and values that your parents instilled in you. You are very fortunate indeed. Wishing you and your wife a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving my friend. Marian

Jon Roth said...

What a wonderful post Othmar, very nice indeed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...