Monday, February 09, 2009

My wife wins heritage award

© Othmar Vohringer

It had been quite an exiting week in our household. It started with me been accepted as a member of Outdoor Writers of Canada and that was quickly followed by more great news concerning my wife.

Heidi takes part in the Merritt art exhibition and for that she supplied several art pieces plus a few photographs. On opening day of the exhibition my sister-in-law came to visit us and we went to the exhibition so my wife could show her which items she had submitted. That evening we drove back for the official opening and no sooner had we stepped into the building the manager approached my wife and said, “The picture you submitted for the local heritage section” has won first price.

The newspaper lady and the judges, among them the Mayor of Merritt, where waiting to congratulate my wife and have a picture taken with the lucky winner for the local newspapers. But that is not all. When we visited the galley earlier with my sister-in-law, Opie, a famous Canadian Native sculpturer and painter, purchased Heidi’s “Spirit of Heida”. He said, “This is an amazing piece of art, representing our Native culture.” That's quite a compliment coming from a Native person, considering that my wife in not of Native heritage and culture.

I always knew that Heidi is a great artist. It fascinates me how she can see something beautiful in everything and then reproduced it in a painting, a drawing or capture it with her camera. I know that this must sound presumptuous coming from her husband, but I know that she is one of the best and she works very hard at what she is doing so well. It thrills me to no end that her art finally has gained the recognition it deserves so richly. I couldn’t help but wipe a tear of joy away as I hugged my wife and congratulated her to the award. “Well done Honey, I love you with all my heart and always had faith in your exceptional artistic talents, even when you couldn’t see it at times.”

You can see the winning picture and read my wife’s version of the event on her blog and her large photo gallery can be viewed here and the art galley here.

Heidi is a freelance photographer and a graphic designer and can be contacted at: artemislangley@shaw.ca
Graphic art and photgraphy prints are available at Artemis Graphics and Design


Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
Founding Member of Outdoor Bloggers Summit


Tags: , ,

13 comments:

Albert A Rasch said...

Othmar,

Congratulations to Mrs V.

And to you of course!

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Proud Member of Outdoor Bloggers Summit
Southeast Regional OBS Coordinator

Anonymous said...

You and the wife are on quite a roll. Keep up the great work. Tell Heidi she is a very talented artist and the best of success to her.

SimplyOutdoors said...

You two are having quite the week. Congrats. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you and your wife. It is always a nice thing to be recognized for your abilities and accomplishments.

Anonymous said...

Heidi is a wonderful artist and photographer. I'm so proud to own a piece of her work.

As I said on her blog, congratulations! This is a wonderful thing.

Othmar Vohringer said...

Sorry for letting you all hang here without my customary reply. Its one of these hectic days where I rush around trying to meet deadlines.

I showed Heidi your comments and she says thank you to each of you for the kind words and compliments. She is really happy that finally all her hard work is been recognized in such a way.

-ov-

Steven M. Kendus said...

Great stuff. Congratulations on all accounts!

Rabid Outdoorsman said...

That is absolutely awesome! Congrats to the both of you!

Othmar Vohringer said...

Thanks for the comments, I passed them on to my wife and she asks me to tell you all how she appreciates your comments.
-ov-

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you and your wife Othmar that is really neat!

Othmar Vohringer said...

Thank you Adam. We think it is neat to. The award really has given my wife exposure. She has sold several paintings and photo prints today and got two phone calls from editors wanting her to come on board as assignment photographer. She still has to get used to it to be recognized on the streets of our small town since her face was plastered all over the newspapers. Next week she has an interview with the local TV station. I am glad for her and the recognition she finally gets for her years of dedication.
-ov-

fishjay40 said...

Congratulations to not only your wife, but also to you! Sounds like quite a week. Send some of that good fortune this way!

Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to both of you! I will forward this post to my wife, who is also a photographer. I expect it will inspire her.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...