Saturday, September 18, 2010

Florida Huntress Takes Huge Alligator

© By Othmar Vohringer

This morning the CTV news reported about a Florida woman that shot a huge alligator. The newscaster seemed to be positively impressed with this news, which in itself is a bit of a surprise because usually the CTV is on the forefront of reporting anti hunting sentiments in a favourable manner.

Arianne Prevost of Satellite Beach, Florida shot a monster alligator during that sates regular alligator season – August 15 to November 1 – the beast measured from the tip of the snout to the tip of the tail exactly 11 feet. The alligator weighs in excess of 450 pounds.

Alligator hunting can be very challenging in the murky swamp waters of Florida and at night when most of the hunting for these animals takes place. This has been Arianne’s first ever gator hunt and to make it even more challenging she used a crossbow. After the hunt Arianne Prevost, in her second year as a bowhunters said, "I can't seem to kill a deer, but I can kill an 11-foot alligator."

Hunting alligators with a bow has been on my “must do” list for a number of years now and this story reminded me that one of these days I have to go to Florida and try my hand on these reptiles. When my wife and I lived in China we grew very fond of alligator meat and I wouldn’t mind filling my freezer with it. Gator meat tastes very nice – no fishy taste at all as often assumed -, the meat is tender and supposedly also quite healthy.

In many areas of Florida gators are so numerous that they are considered a nuisance animal. For more information on hunting alligators in Florida visit the website of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC).

This blog post has been brought to you by Othmar Vohringer Outdoors

Read my bi-weekly newspaper column online.

Tags: , , , , ,

5 comments:

Albert A Rasch said...

Ov,

The Suburban Bushwacker and I have plans to skewer a bull gator one of these days. We just have to find the time to do it!


Best Regards,
Albert Rasch™
TROC: Helping Bird Rescuers

Othmar Vohringer said...

good luck to both of you, hope you find the time and get a big on. Let me know so I can write about it here.

Hunting Alligators in the swamps of Florida is on my "must do before I die" list too.

-ov-

Jessica said...

I really like how your posts bring in a variety of perspectives. For example you analyzed the reporters reaction, you explained the difficulty of such feat, and added the benefits of this outcome just in case those reading were interpreting it in a negative way.

NICE
Very nice.

Brought a smile to my face, love experiencing insight like that.

thanks

Othmar Vohringer said...

Jessica - Why do you keep writing every day the same comment? It's called spamming and I will delete it.

-ov-

David Beebe said...

I enjoyed reading what you had to say, I used to live in the panhandle of FL but never saw anything like the lady killed.
Perhaps your readers would enjoy going to my site and checking out the Gerber knives I have.
Beebes Knives

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...