Saturday, May 28, 2011

Is Facebook Founder Mark Zuckerberg Becoming A Hunter?

© By Othmar Vohringer

According to an article on the CNN website Mark Zuckerberg, the 27-year-old founder of Facebook, has made a vow to only eat meat of animals that he himself has killed.

Each year, so the article, Zuckerberg comes up with a personal challenge for himself. Last year he decided to learn Chinese, this year he's going to be his own meat processor. And his reasoning is actually pretty logical. He said, “I started thinking about this last year when I had a pig roast at my house. A bunch of people told me that even though they loved eating pork, they really didn't want to think about the fact that the pig used to be alive. That just seemed irresponsible to me. I don't have an issue with anything people choose to eat, but I do think they should take responsibility and be thankful for what they eat rather than trying to ignore where it came from.

I say, Good on Zuckerberg to take the responsibility of killing his own food. That is a lot more than can be said for those that criticize hunters for killing animals and then go to the store to buy a steak. After Zuckerberg made the announcement, some of his friends commented on his Facebook page that they were disgusted with his decision. But despite the criticism, he's taking the challenge pretty seriously. Zuckerberg posted messages and photos on Facebook about killing lobsters, goats, pigs and chickens before eating them.

Zuckerberg also said that he's interested in going hunting. Well if he needs guidance I would be more than willing to get him started in the right direction of becoming a successful hunter. Well done Mark, another big city person is back on planet reality.

###

This blog post has been brought to you by Othmar Vohringer Outdoors

3 comments:

Ken G said...

I think that's a pretty good idea. I've tried to instill this in my daughters. One of them now likes to hunt with me and we come up with recipes where very little of the animal goes to waste.

So far one of her favorites is linguine with a rabbit alfredo sauce.

Whit Spurzon said...

I'm glad to read this. We need more high profile hunters.

Aldo Leopold said something like "The two inherent dangers of not living on a farm are the belief that food comes from the grocer and heat comes from the furnace."

As I rule I would say that there is higher level of appreciation for our food when we've put on the table ourselves, especially though hunting/fishing. Not only are we consuming delicious protein we have respect and admiration for the creature that provided it. The flavor is further enhanced with the memory of the hunt. That just isn't the case when the meat you bring home is packaged in cellophane.

Hunting is a spiritual thing. There is simultaneous sadness and exhilaration when a kill is made. It is sad that so few experience or understand that.

SimplyOutdoors said...

I agree, Othmar.

I'm not a big Zuckerberg fan, but I think his interest in killing his own meals, and his interest in hunting especially, is good for everyone involved - especially those of us who hunt. It puts the activity of hunting back in the spotlight.......and in a good way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...