Monday, October 15, 2012

95-Year-Old Nova Scotia Woman Bags Her First Moose With 1 Shot

© By Othmar Vohringer

The following news item is the kind of hunting stories that inspire me.

Laura Wood, a 95-year-old woman from Yarmouth Nova Scotia, fulfilled her lifelong dream of going on a moose hunt. It was the last day of her hunt, just when daylight broke when Laura’s dream materialized in form of a 600-pound moose appearing. Laura brought the critter down with a single shot form her rifle. The Sandy Point Lodge, which hosted Laura’s hunting trip, said it's the first time they can remember a 95-year-old hunter in camp.

Now that Laura Woods has fulfilled her dream she won’t go moose hunting next year, because "I'm getting too old." She said “but I still plan on deer hunting." Wood said she has been hunting rabbits and deer since she was 16 years old. And to the one shot kill on the moose she said modestly, "Well I used to be a good shot. Well it must have been pretty good if I got that one...it's in my freezer now."

Laura Woods made headlines in the Canadian newspapers but that doesn’t faze her one bit. “Since I’ve been back people have been so good to me. The phone’s been ringing off the hook. I don’t know why they call me. I’m not worth it.” Well Laura you may think you’re not worth the media attention, but as far as I am concerned you are. There are not many hunters around that still hunt at that age let alone planning on continuing hunting.

(Photo courtesy of Sandy Point Lodge)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...