Saturday, February 17, 2007

Wild Hogs in Nebraska

I just read an interesting story on the Hog Blog about wild hogs testing positive for pseudorabies.

There are two things I did not know.

1. I did not know that there is such a thing as pseudorabies. Lucky for me, my favorite web-resource Wikipedia seems to have the answer to everything a person would ever want to know.

Here is what Wikipedia has to say:

Pseudorabies virus (PRV) is a viral disease in swine that is endemic in most parts of the world. It is caused by porcine herpesvirus 1 and is also known as Aujeszky's disease, and in cattle as mad itch. PRV is considered to be the most economically important viral disease of swine in areas where hog cholera has been eradicated. The virus is shed in the saliva and nasal secretions of infected swine and is spread through oral or nasal contact. There are many secondary hosts of pseudorabies, including dogs, cats, cattle, rats, and horses. The name pseudorabies comes from the similarity of symptoms to rabies in dogs.


You can read more about pseuorabies on Wikipedia – Interesting stuff.

2. Of all the places I would expect to find wild hogs Nebraska is not one of them but surprisingly – for me that is – that state is home to a small herd of wild hogs. According to the Nebraska DNR some of the pigs tested near Genoa have tested positive for pseudorabies. I wanted to read more information about the news than what the article on the Brownfield Network offered and visited the website of the Nebraska DNR.

Surprisingly – again – I couldn’t find any mention of pseudorabies on the DNR website, or any information on wild hog hunting opportunities in that state. If anybody has any reliable information on pseudorabies in wild pigs and on hog hunting in Nebraska I would like to hear about it.

Tags: , , , , ,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...