Monday, February 21, 2011

Bloomberg Calls For Kitchen Knife Control Law

© By Othmar Vohringer

I am sure we all have at times joked “what about a knife control law?” when we heard or read  gun control advocates reasoning for the need of such laws. Well it's no joke anymore. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg demanded a knife control law.

In a statement following the murderous rampage of Maksim Gelman, a 23-year-old Ukrainian immigrant, killing four victims with an with a 8-inch kitchen knife the New York Major released the following comment:

“This tragic event demands that America inject some sanity, some kind of reasonable controls, into its kitchen-knife laws. No one but a professional chef needs an 8-inch kitchen knife. No one but a professional chef needs an entire collection of kitchen knives. Why was this person, who had a criminal record, able to buy kitchen knives with no sort of background check? Because anyone can walk into a hardware or kitchen-supply store and buy any knife they want as easily as they can buy a blender or a colander.
Unlike guns, knives do not have to be reloaded, which increases their lethal potential. They are easily concealable and quiet. No civilian should have access to weapons this deadly. Kitchen-knife dealers should be required to conduct background checks and report multiple sales. It is time to stand up to the kitchen-knife lobby. I call upon my fellow mayors to join me in the effort to place reasonable controls upon kitchen knives and end this madness.”
When I read the above statement I had to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming. Why stop by guns and knives, there are other items that are quite regularly used ti kill people. How about baseball-bats, screwdrivers and...I better stop otherwise I could be accused of giving Bloomberg ideas. It seems that ones again a politician uses a tragic event to further his political agenda.What's new?

###

This blog post has been brought to you by Othmar Vohringer Outdoors

Tags: , , , , ,

5 comments:

SimplyOutdoors said...

Othmar,


When it comes to Bloomberg, nothing surprises me. Do people not realize that, for as long as there have been humans, there has been killing? They would bludgeon people to death, and leave them to die a long slow death for God's sake. Taking away a certain object, because a politician deems it as "dangerous" isn't going to accomplish a damn thing.

Next we'll have to have a background check to own a car.

Good grief!

Ken Gortowski said...

That's so surreal, you have to question it. Pinch myself? I think I'll go poke myself with one of my 12 inch kitchen knives. Unreal.

Othmar Vohringer said...

Arthur you're absolutely right. People who want to kill someone will do so with their own bare hands. Everything can and often will become a murder weapon. I read the other day of a women who killed her husband with a rolling pin.

Ken thank you for your comment, it's always nice to see a new face here. It is surreal, because many hunters and gun owners have joked about in the past. "If we need gun control then why not for knives, cars and sticks too." Nobody ever thought that a politician could stoop that low that suggest something that insane.

-ov-

Holly Heyser said...

Unfortunately, this was a satire by F&S writer/blogger David Petzal. The statement is not real.

Ajlounyinjurylaw said...

I think this knife control law is so stupid. There are people that can control themselves with switch blades and knives. It's not across the board a problem and seems a little overkill.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...